6 PAYSON HILL ROAD

RINDGE, NH 03461

603-899-5722

United Church of Christ


Deacon Edward Jewett was born in 1741 in Concord, Massachusetts.  He moved to Rindge in 1769 or 1770.  Very involved in town activities, Deacon Jewett was a teacher in the grammar schools for many years, a selectman for 14 years, town clerk for seven years, a justice of the peace, and served on a variety of committees, including the 1797 committee that was chosen to keep dogs out of the Meeting House.  He also served in the Revolutionary War.  In 1780, he was elected a deacon of the church and served for 45 years until his death in 1825.  While the other three deacons were buried in the Meeting House Cemetery, it is not yet known where Deacon Jewett is buried.     

​Flash forward 245 years.  In The First Congregational Church and Society, United Church of Christ, in Rindge, New Hampshire, as we are known today, we have a Board of Deacons, which is currently comprised of six deacons (we could have 12), who serve for three-year terms.  As defined in our church’s By-Laws, Article 10, the Board of Deacons participates in, coordinates, and nurtures the life and ministry of the church body.  In general, these duties are carried out by assisting the pastor in the following areas:  providing a fitting environment for worship, promoting the spiritual life of the church, care and visitation of those in need, and the care of all church members.  There are many duties performed within their mandate.  They are the duck feet that make our church move every day

(Sources consulted are Stearn’s History of Rindge, New Hampshire 1736-1874; The Role of Deacons in Congregational Churches by Halcomb, and the Rindge Historical Society.)

Way Back When

 by Margaret Morabito, Church Historian


Giving Thanks for the Deacons 1765-1825

Continued

 ​