Our lovely Sanctuary encompasses the entire second floor of the Meeting House and features the simple beauty of colonial times. It is dominated by the impressive Stevens organ and two large stained glass windows on each side of the altar. The pews dating back hundreds of years can accommodate up to 250 people. In recent years an elevator and handicap seating were added to facilitate access.
6 PAYSON HILL ROAD
RINDGE, NH 03461
Our beautiful Stevens Tracker Organ was built and installed in 1871 with 1,500 pipes and at a cost of $2,500, by the George Stevens factory located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In 1962 the organ was partially renovated with tonal alterations made and in 1979 the bellows were recovered and a thorough cleaning was done. The church undertook a complete restoration of the organ in 1995 which included repairing all wind chests and pipes, resetting pipes, repairing moving parts, tending to any wood cracks. Most notably this work included the restoration of the magnificent original stenciling of the 23 pipes that are visible at the head of the church. At this time our organ, in its original home, is considered among the finest Stevens organs still in existence, possessing the bright, rather bold tone characteristic of the best instruments of its era.
The Church Parsonage was built in 1784 on 30 acres owned by Dr. Seth Payson, one of the first ministers of the church. In 1820 the building and 12 acres were given to the church by the Payson family. The property includes a lovely antique colonial home with nearly 3,200 square feet of living space and a large two-story barn. The parsonage has been used consistently for over 200 years as the main housing for the church’s minister and family. It was renovated in 2011 in anticipation of the call to our current pastor.
Being Good Stewards of Our Property
First Congregational Church
Historic Meeting House
Our Shared Church Building built in 1797 on the town common is governed by the 1965 agreement between the church and Town of Rindge that ensures that for the next 200 years, both parties will continue to share the Meeting House building. It is one of only two remaining structures in New Hampshire that still serve the community as both a “meeting house” and a church. The stables are located behind the building and serve as a reminder of years past, while a town Cemetery next door includes many of the town’s founding citizens. For more information on the history of this building go to "Way Back When."
United Church of Christ